Some people (well, one anyway) have wondered how I always seem to find something from the flea markets. But the thing is, I don’t. A lot of times I go in, wonder around for an hour and come out having bought nothing.
Sometimes you just go to the flea market and find nothing.
Then again, sometimes you find loads of things, or you find just one thing. That’s how it goes.
The key is to go often, and just look around with an open mind. You probably wont find those black pumps you need today, but chances are you will run in to them eventually. Here are some things I’ve found helpful:
- Keep a list of things you need or collect (for me: teaspoons, Arabia-bread plates, fabric, shoes…) and always check them out.
- Look under piles. Most people don’t bother, so there are sometimes really great pieces of fabric or jewellery under some uninteresting stuff.
- Don’t get too fixated on your list. You can run in to some great things, you had not thought of or never heard of before.
- Take cash with you. Preferably coins or small notes. Flea markets are quite cheap and I think paying with unnecessary large notes is kind of rude. You’ll just be robbing them of all their change.
- Like said, go often. There is (usually) just one of each item in flea markets, so don’t miss it.
- Also, you have to make some fast decisions, that item is not likely going to be there tomorrow anymore. However, don’t be too rash, you might end up with a lot of unnecessary stuff. I know I have. So get to know yourself, what you need and what you will actually use and get enjoyment out of.
- Don’t get discouraged if you don’t find anything. And don’t buy something just so you wouldn’t have to leave empty handed. If there is nothing this time. It just means you saved some money for the time you do find something great!
Here are some things I’ve found lately