Saturday, February 28, 2015

New Year’s Resolutions: 365 Illustrations

kitties

As you can probably tell by the title of this post one of my new year’s resolutions for 2015 was (is) to do 365 illustrations.

I was inspired by a Elise Joy podcast where artist crystal moody told about her project to do an illustration a day in 2014. I was intrigued, but my mind instantly rebelled against having to do one everyday, it sounded like work and not fun at all. And while I wanted to draw more, I didn’t want to have to draw.

So instead of doing one everyday, I decided to do 365 ones. Which, while meaning an average of one everyday, also meant that I could skip days if I didn’t feel like it, and then on the days I would feel like it, I could draw 20 if I wanted.

This would also mean that I could never be behind (or ahead), except on the very last day of the year. And even if I didn’t do 365, I’d still probably crank out a decent amount, certainly more than if I didn’t do this resolution.

It’s been fun so far! I decided that the illustrations would have to be neither finished nor good, and I think that’s been a key to keeping it fun. I’ve been able to explore stuff I would not normally do, or didn’t even think I was interested in, without a fear of failure. You may have noticed a few on the blog already, mainly my profile picture in the sidebar, and the Valentine’s day one.

Above are the illustrations 7. and 8. I had a bit of a cat phase, which I, as a dedicated dog person, found bizarre. But I just went with it, and loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...