Friday, March 20, 2015

Clean: Decorating

21clean

A bit weirdly, since we moved into this house, I’ve tried not to decorate. At least, I’ve tried not to decorate just to decorate: put up paintings to have something on the walls, or buy items to fill the top of the chest of drawers or the bookshelf, or to buy furniture to fill our much bigger living room… Instead, we just painted the walls white, put the existing furniture in place and left it at that.

I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. The clean surfaces, the bare walls. It feels calming, and clean, and easy. Tidying up is so much faster, when there are just a few pillows and blankets to straighten, and no decorative items to dust.

But… I do sometimes worry that our house feels too bare and not cosy and lived in. Maybe people come in and think “how boring”. Maybe I should have paintings and a decorated bookshelf?

But I don’t want to hurry and buy things either just to fill up the space. Ever since I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and got a rid of a lot of crap, I’ve felt this aversion to buying more stuff, knowing that in a short while it’ll just end up at a second-hand store, when I realise it wasn’t for me after all.

So, I’ve tried to curb any impulse buying urges, and just to stick to what I already have. Which, let’s face it, is plenty. There’s nothing new that we need. We have a bed, and plates, and clothes, and more. And maybe they aren’t the perfect plates and clothes, but they keep us fed and clothed (respectively), and having nicer plates and clothes is just extra.

There’s not really any point to this rambling, and I’m sure in a few posts I’ll tell about the new plates I bought : ) I guess, i just wanted to remind myself that I don’t need to buy anything, or to have a nicely decorated home. I can if I choose to, but I don’t have to.

My One Little Word for 2015 is clean. You can read more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...