Saturday, January 2, 2016

In December

December, literally "the Christmas month" (joulukuu) in Finnish. Christmas just is not the same as it was when I was a kid, but dang if I'm not trying my hardest.
On independence day (6.12.) we invited Jake`s parents and grandparents over for coffee. I made blueberry quark pie and two-ingredient-fudge. It was very nice. In the evening I watched the president's reception on the TV (alone, Jake thinks it's humbug) and drank glögg.
I really enjoyed our new glass cabinets in the living room. It allowed me, for the first time, to decorate for Christmas in a collected manner without sprinkling stuff everywhere. I felt it made a nice Christmasy impact, without straining on my need to have clear surfaces.
We went to buy some more decorations for the tree as it was looking a bit bare, and ended up buying two fake fur pillows and a blanket for the couch. Jake modeling them for you here. I can't tell you how cozy they are. I think they look a bit like reindeer fur. Hopefully no-one is creeped out about that...
We played through two new Mystery Case Files games. Two! So spoiled. There's always a struggle over who get's to hold the mouse. We usually switch when one person get's stuck, then diss each other when we notice something the other didn't. It's great fun!
We rarely go to the movies preferring to watch them later at home, but really, we had to go see the new Star Wars. It was amazing! Easily the best movie of the year. It was funny, and moved along very nicely, there were no horrible misunderstandings (my pet peeve), and none of the characters were annoying. And a lot of references to the old movies. And I was so happy to see everything rusty and dirty and old, just like in the originals. None of the gleaming, airbrushed photoshop. Ten stars.
We had a very nice Christmas, which is celebrated in Finland on Christmas Eve. We watched Snowman, I went for a walk and then we had sauna. We ate Christmas dinner at Jake's parents. There was ham, salmon, casseroles, potatoes, the works. I made banoffee pie for desert, but everyone was too full to eat any. We visited the graveyard and lighted candles for relatives. At home we opened presents, and then I called my parents. A lovely day.
We spent Jake's Cristmas vacation playing Donkey Kong 64. Really into older games now. After we finished that we straightaway started Banjo-Tooie.
After Christmas Jake went back to work (to his room, he works mostly from home now) and I felt an urge to purge some of the crap in our home for the new year. I have this idea of having cupboards and closets where there aren't things behind other things, where everything is in just in a single layer, if you know what I mean. And where things aren't crammed together, but there is air in between. I don't know if that's actually doable.

That was our December, now on to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...