Monday, January 4, 2016

Word for the Year

At the beginning of each year I pick a word for that year (haw-haw, this is really only the second time I'm doing this, but I do intend to do this every year!) as a kind of a overarching theme for the year and to remind me what I'm striving towards.

Last year my word was CLEAN, and it was mildly put a very appropriate word for me in 2015. I got a rid of a lot of stuff that was cluttering our home, but I also simplified a lot of other things like activities and hobbies, and even thoughts and beliefs I felt weren't necessary and that weren't contributing to my happiness. In short, I let go of a lot of baggage. Weirdly, this was also the year The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up came out, which just fit right into my theme, and provided me with a lot of the tools I needed.

I'm still going to continue "cleaning" in 2016 (right at this moment my room is a mess as I've pulled everything out of the closets on to the floor), but my theme and word for the year are going to be something completely different.

My word for 2016 is going to be

FLOURISH

Talk about opposites, right? But I feel that now, with all the space I've added in my life, I have room to expand. And I definitely do not mean filling all the space I've cleared with new nicknack's. Not at all. I mean to expand myself. In the past year I've done a lot of self-reflecting. I've pulled back to basics, only kept the things I love, my favorite books, my favorite clothes, my favorite activities... And I feel now free, and curious, to explore, to expand, and to discover what else is out there. And especially, to grow.

So, this year I'm going to flourish. The Internet dictionary that I consulted defined it as "to grow luxuriantly", and that sounds just wonderful and exiting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...