Sunday, August 12, 2018

Three granny square blanket designs

I've made two granny square blankets in the past (you can see them under the tag granny square) and although for now I have no intentions making more, it was a project I LOVED. It's both a very big project (the whole blanket) and a very small, portable project (each square), great for travelling with! Each square takes very little time to make, although making enough for a whole adult size blanket (and assembling! oh, the assembling!) takes quite a lot.

I thought I'd just share a few plans I've been dreaming up in case it takes me years to get around to actually crocheting one. The granny square which in itself seems pretty old fashioned can be combined into really cool modern designs. I'm a big fan of the cross/plus sign design, so here are three different patterns for that.

Each square corresponds to one granny square. The Internet is full of tutorials on how to crochet a granny square, so I haven't included one, just do a Google search and pick your favorite. The size of the square will depend on the yarn and hook you use. For my blankets I've used wool yarn called 7 veljestä and an European size 4 hook. 

You can also make the blanket of more or less squares, for example 7 x 10 for a baby.

I use a ladder stitch to assemble the squares.

These colors (or lack of color...) are just suggestions, make them in any color you wish.

I think it's quite fasinating how one basic pattern can yield so many different results.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...